1) may(might) have + done sth, can (could) have + done sth 表示过去,推测过去时间里可能发生的事情。

Philip may (might) have been hurt seriously in the car accident.

Philip can (could) have been hurt seriously in the car accident.

菲利普可能在车祸中受了重伤。

She may have been scarred for life

她可能会留下永久的创伤。

He may have been eclipsed by the young guns, but his films are stillvery popular.

年轻一辈的光芒可能会让他显得有些黯然失色,但他的电影仍旧十分受欢迎。

An additional, unstated reason for his resignation may have been alawsuit filed against him.

他辞职的另一个没有言明的理由可能是他遭到了起诉。

The teenager may have been abducted by a religious cult

这个少年可能被一个异教组织绑架了。

I thought you might have invited her over.

我以为你可能已经邀请她过来了。

This is something which you might have forgotten

这事儿你可能已经忘记了。

If I had written the letter, I might have worded it differently.

如果换作我写这封信,我或许会用不同的措辞。

He can have been delayed by heavy snow.

他可能被大雪耽误了。

He's an hour late; he can have been delayed by fog, of course.

他迟到了1个小时,当然,他可能是被雾所阻。

2) must have +done sth,对过去时间里可能发生的事情的推测,语气较强,具有"肯定","谅必"的意思。

 ---Linda has gone to work, but her bicycle is still here.

 ---She must have gone by bus.

琳达去上班了,但她的自行车还在这儿。她一定是乘公共汽车去的。

She must have misheard.

她一定是听错了。

Somebody must have informed on us

肯定有人告发我们了。

I closed my eyes for a minute and must have dozed off.

我闭了会儿眼,肯定是睡着了。

I must have been naive to think we would get my parents 'blessing.

我一定太天真了,竟认为我们会得到我父母的祝福。

You must have left a tap running in the bathroom

你肯定忘了关浴室的龙头了。

I must have dropped off to sleep

我肯定是睡着了。

I must have been a bore.

我一定让人觉得很无聊。

I felt sorry for him and his colleagues — it must have been sofrustrating for them

我为他和他的同事们感到难过——这件事一定让他们感到非常沮丧。

3) ought to have done sth, should have done sth

本应该做某事,而事实上并没有做。否定句表示"不该做某事而做了"。

You ought to (should) have been more careful in this experiment.

在这个实验中你应该更加小心。

He ought not to have thrown the old clothes away.(事实上已扔了。)

他不应该把旧衣服扔掉。

Perhaps we ought to have trusted people more

也许我们本当对人多一些信任的。

I realize I ought to have told you about it

我意识到自己本该把这件事告诉你的。

If they had started at two o'clock, they ought to have got there bynow.

他们如果是两点出发的,现在该到那儿了。

You should have accepted that. I'm disappointed in you.

你本应该接受那个的,我对你很失望。

I should have simply Xeroxed this sheet for you.

我应该把这张纸给你复印一下就对了。

I don't think we should have been there in the first place.

我认为我们从一开始就不该在那儿。

Why do you think we should have a vote on that?

为什么你认为我们应该对那件事进行表决?

ought to 在语气上比should 要强。


4) needn't have done sth  本没必要做某事

We spent a hell of a lot of money that we needn't have spent.

我们花了很多本来不需要花的钱。

I was a little nervous when I announced my engagement to Grace, but I needn't have worried

我宣布和格雷丝订婚时有点紧张,但我本不必担心的。

She could have made the sandwich herself; her mum needn't have bothered to do anything

她本来可以自己做三明治的;她妈妈原本不必费心做任何事情。

I dressed very warmly for the trip, but I needn't have done so. The weather was hot. 我为这次旅行穿得很暖和,但我不必这样做。天气很热。

You needn't have told me that much.

你不必和我讲那么多。

I needn't have written to him because he phoned me shortlyafterwards.

我本来不需要给他写信,因为信寄出不久他给我打了电话。

5) would like to have done sth  本打算做某事 

I would like to have given you a call, but I forgot.

我本来想给你打电话的,但却忘记了。

I would like to have read the article, but I was very busy then. 我想读这篇文章,但那时我很忙。


Susan bit back the words she would like to have said

苏珊话到嘴边又咽了回去。

情态动词+ have +过去分词解析