go to bed意为“就寝、上床睡觉”,着重指上床准备睡觉的动作。一般说来, go to bed在前,然后才go /get to sleep或fall asleep。如:
He usually goes to bed at nine o'clock and goes to sleep /falls asleep five minutes afterwards.他通常九点钟就寝,五分种后入睡。
sleep强调“睡觉”这一动作,是延续性动词,可与表示时间段的状语连用。如:
He slept solidly for ten hours.
他整整睡了十个小时。
She only sleeps for four hours a night.
她每天晚上只睡四个小时。
Did you sleep well last night?昨晚你睡得好吗?
go /get to sleep指“睡着、入睡”。go to sleep强调“入睡”这个动作,即begin to sleep,指入睡,尤指有意想睡着;而get to sleep强调进入睡眠状态,且多用于否定句、疑问句或条件句中。指开始入睡,尤指经过很长时间或很难才睡着:如:
He was so tired that he went to sleep soon.他很累,不久就睡着了。
I shut my eyes and tried to go to sleep.
我闭上了眼睛想睡。
He woke for a moment and then went to sleep again.
他醒了一会儿,然后又睡了。
I was waiting for the sound of the other shoe!I can't get to sleep.我在等另一只鞋落地声!我睡不着。
He took a long time getting to sleep that night.
他那天晚上过了好长时间才睡着。
fall asleep与go /get to sleep同义,可互换使用;但fall asleep侧重“无意识地入睡、本不想入睡而入睡”的含义,相当于drop sleep, 有时指无意之中或在不适当的场合睡着:如:
He was so exhausted that he fell asleep at his desk.
他太累了,竟伏在书桌上睡着了。
I pinched myself to stop myself from falling asleep.
我掐自己以防自己睡着。
The moment I closed my eyes, I fell asleep.
我闭上眼睛就睡着了。
I can't get to sleep with all that singing.
那些歌声搅得我无法入睡。
I couldn't get to sleep because I was too excited.
我不能入睡,因为我太激动。
I don't know when I went to sleep /got to sleep /fell asleep last night.我不知道昨晚什么时候睡着的。
be asleep表示“睡着”的状态,是系表结构,其中asleep不能用 very修饰,只能用sound,fast等词修饰。be asleep 表示睡的状态;而fall asleep表示睡的动作;
如:
The baby is fast asleep.孩子睡得很香。
What's Ashley doing?’ ‘Sh! She's asleep.’
“阿什利在干什么?”“嘘,她在睡觉。”
The baby was sleeping peacefully.
婴儿睡得很安稳。
The baby was sound asleep upstairs.
婴儿在楼上睡得很香。
She was still half asleep (= not fully awake) when she arrived at work.
她到了上班地点时仍然睡眼惺忪。
My four year-old daughter was asleep on the sofa.
我4岁的女儿在沙发上睡着了。
In moments, I was asleep once more.
不一会儿工夫,我又睡着了。
Sometimes the boy pretended to be asleep
有时这个男孩会假装睡着了。
She buried her head under the covers, pretending to be asleep
她把头埋到被子底下,假装睡着了。
精彩评论